So you’re in Sydney and want to get to the Blue Mountains but not sure how to do it? You’ve come to the right place. We’ll give you the low down on how to make this the perfect place for a weekend escape from the hustle and bustle of Sydney.
Not only are the Blue Mountains right on the city’s doorstep and a fantastic way to get back to nature for a few days. If you want to relax, read a book or wile away the days in art galleries and shops you can. If you have a penchant for adventure there are caves to explore, trails to be hiked and more…
Hire a car and self drive
The Blue Mountains with its fabulous sandstone plateau and amazing gorges are only 50km west of Sydney. Katoomba, where we have accommodation (see below), is 100km from Sydney but it takes just over an hour to get there. Katoomba is a key Blue Mountain village and a great place to base while you’re in the area with great access to walking tracks, cafes and shops, galleries and more.
The Blue Mountains have a World Heritage listing and as a result there’s so much to see and do! Here are some ideas:
* go to The Edge Cinema to see a panoramic view of the area
* Head along the Giant Stairway, a track that runs down a cliff into the Jamison Valley, past the Three Sisters, and into the valley below. It’s tough on the knees but worth it and you can come up via the scenic railway
* Explore the Jenolan Caves, a series of limestone caves.
* Scare yourself on the Katoomba Scenic Railway, perhaps the world’s steepest. It descends 415 metres through sandstone cliffs and even a rock tunnel so be prepared!
* Browse the galleries such as The Norman Lindsay Gallery and Museum at Faulconbridge, museums like the Toy Museum at Leura and get your fill of cafes and boutique stores in the many villages of the Blue Mountains!
* Go back to your childhood and enjoy the Zig Zag Railway, a steam-powered experience near Lithgow.
Go with a tour
We have a plethora of options to get you into the mountains. See our site for more details or check out these listings below.
|FJ Tours – Blue Mountains|
Discover with FJ Tours the Blue Mountains with a difference. Sightseeing, Featherdale Wildlife Park, buffet lunch and Matilda River Cruise
We have accommodation in Katooma, a fantastic Blue Mountains village in the heart of the action. Check out these offerings for the perfect stay in the mountains.
|The Flying Fox|
Katoombas`Famous Flying Fox Backpackers. Great FREE BREAKFAST, 3 types of cereals and Italian bread. Free Internet if you stay 3 days or more, pick-up by arrangement. For the independent traveller, funky laid back small hostel with great log fires, relaxed atmosphere.
|Katoomba Mountain Backpackers Lodge|
Free-tea/coffee, free- email/internet, free-pickup, free-linen/electric blanket, free-off street parking, free–handy local bushwalking maps, kitchen
Hope you’re enjoying the VIP Backpacker’s Travel Blog. There will be a blog every other Friday, so keep tuning in to keep your travel dreams alive! If there are any travel topics you want covered feel free to contact Jo at email@example.com